Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 7: Wasserheim

Today I created another base, this one is right next to that beach entrance I had recently dug. Since I had been thinking about boats recently, I wondered, "if I get this water soread throught the corridors will I be able to quickly travel them by watercraft?" So I dug and dug, and placed sand and learned about the physics of water. I only nearly drowned about 5 times. Around my work area I used stone to create a castle like structure on the ice. I noticed that when I placed torches near the ice, the ice melted and wouldn't return. This is how a got the water to start flowing the way I wanted. I channeled the ocean into a 3 cube thick streak and slowly worked it downward until it hit the corridor Unfortunately, water doesn't go very far in a straight line, but I felt accomplished regardless.

I dubbed this beach front fortification "Wassterheim", my home on the water (literally). I started to built two bridges from Wasserheim, one straight into the ocean, to the east, and the other to the south, until I ran out of stone. During the construction of Wasserheim I noticed an incredibly important concept: the sun always rises in the east. This is hugely important data. Now, whenever I lose my bearings, I can just looks to the sky and know which way north is. I am no longer blind when far from home.

With all the extra sand I created an enormous amount of glass. Einheim, which is contnually being fortified and expanded, was retrofitted with this new material. By using glass instead of stone I can:
1. have full visibility of my surroundings
2. see the sunrise from the safety of my fortress

After a stroke of genius, I discovered how to make a full set of armor: boots, leggings, chest plate, and helmet. Before, all I knew how to make was a helmet and that provided minimal protection. I feel like a warrior now, fully armored in steel and master of the mountains, waters, and depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment