Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 3: Never Dig Up

Feeling a little homesick for the surface, I built a very long, rudimentary staircase straight up and found a few caverns along the way... I get lost in them fairly frequently. Eventually I ascended into a cavern that turned out to be at ground level. I poked a little hole out and made a front door, with torches outside to mark its position. I set up the essentials: a large chest, workbench, and forge. Though I didn't realize it, this new base was to become my primary one. Outside, I built another large stone monolith, much like my first one. After it was constructed, I looked around, hoping that I could find my original shelter somewhere nearby. Alas, it is nowhere near and it is getting dark. I decided to head back down into the lava chamber to explore.

Discovery! With a little experimentation, I realized that I can place stone in the lava and just walk right over it. I made a little bridge over the lava patch and starting digging for silver. I saw some directly above me and started digging. Before I knew what was happening a groaning, green monster was attacking me! Though I had a sword, I was too caught off guard to take it out. I whacked the beast a couple of times to no avail. He killed me in a matter of seconds.... Dying is sad and frustrating. Though I learned an important lesson about being extremely careful how you dig and to always keep your blade at the ready.

I woke up above ground and immediately started panicking. All of the items I was carrying had disappeared. The area around me didn't look at all familiar. I punched some trees to get some wood and fashion my basic equipment. After running around for a minute or so, my heart suddenly lifted. In the distance I could see one of the familiar stone monoliths I had built. As I ran swiftly toward the structure I saw the torches hanging around the door to my second and now primary base.

No comments:

Post a Comment